Prison Song (2001, USA)

Prison Song

I’m one of those who just doesn’t get hip hop: it’s not just the invective and misogyny, but notwithstanding odd pockets of creativity, it’s the sameness and the inevitability of the rhythm and tone. And that’s precisely what this film is about.

It starts with some sobering statistics about imprisonment in the US, including that more than one in four black Americans will serve time in jail, and that a black child is 46 times more likely to go to juvenile prison than a white one. It stars a procession of rap singers, and at several points the action is incomprehensibly put on hold while they sing depressingly ordinary songs.

Early in the piece we see a ‘good’ young kid, Elijah, witness his mother’s boyfriend assaulting a white cop after some unnecessary provocation, for which he finishes up doing life in jail on the back of the ‘three strikes and you’re out’ policy. His dad is not around, having been shot dead by Police. Young Elijah (all of 10) then gets himself shot at, arrested and put in an orange jumpsuit for flashing a laser light at some cops at night and ‘resisting arrest’. His mother (Mary J Blige), an intelligent woman seeking to make a better life for herself as a paralegal, tries to remove him from the juvenile centre where he’s being held, is duly arrested and quickly spirals down into mental illness from which she never recovers. It’s clear that wherever there’s a line-ball decision, or a twist of fate, it is going to go against the black guy. We jump eight years or so and Elijah, now grown up and a talented photographer on a college scholarship (and played by rapper Q-Tip), gets into a fight and his bigger opponent (yet another rapper, Fat Joe) falls onto some railway tracks and dies. Rather than getting off on self-defence, Elijah cops 15 years and follows everyone else to prison.

It’s a privately-run prison and the film takes some pretty strong swipes at the notion of prisons-for-profit. It also manages to avoid most of the traditional images of prison; there are no drugs, no rapes, and almost no gratuitous violence. The dreadfulness of prison is conveyed more in the waste of talent and waste of potential as the parade of young African Americans live out their lives – thwarted, unproductively and inevitably – in prison. Even at the end, when an escape attempt seems destined for success, circumstances conspire to prevent it. The message is a depressing one: for black Americans there is invariably no escape.

Maybe in a post-Obama America the story might be a more optimistic one.

Prison Song #2 Prison Song #3

Posted on May 16th, 2009 at 4:31 pm. Updated on March 2nd, 2010 at 8:54 pm.

#211 in the Top 500

6 Responses to “Prison Song (2001, USA)”

1. October 19th, 2011 at 7:13 pm
    bianca says:

Took me forever to remember the name of this movie. Never would have remembered if it wasn’t for GOOGLE! Amazing movie!! Got me through a lot of juvinile time! Thaaaanx! XOXO

2. February 5th, 2012 at 7:38 pm
    Jordan Atterberry says:

Great, thanks for sharing this blog. Fantastic.

3. February 27th, 2012 at 7:43 pm
    Maggie Hise says:

I loved your post.Much thanks again. Really Great.

4. February 28th, 2012 at 5:09 pm
    Edwin Kershner says:

Great, thanks for sharing this blog post.Much thanks again. Cool.

5. February 28th, 2012 at 5:37 pm
    Fatima Hosley says:

Muchos Gracias for your blog post. Keep writing.

6. August 7th, 2019 at 11:18 pm
    fleshlight toy says:

fleshlight toy
    4. It depends. Sometimes I when I masterbate I ejaculate into tissue or my boxers; that
    makes it very easy to clean up. But if you’re never been awfully close to 100% with this or “jumped in,” as you say, versus really taking time to think,
    feel and talk it through before going ahead with this change
    I’d say it might be a good idea to take a time out, maybe a
    big one, and see if you can’t get better sorted with that.
    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead.

male sex toys Apparently his girlfriend has been cheated
    on before in past relationships, and she has very low self
    esteem. Abby told his girlfriend nothing has been going on she lies to her!
    Charlie won’t change his relationship status to single, even though he changed
    his name, and claims he doesn’t wanna upset his “ex”.
    Abby calls Charlie her boyfriend on Twitter
    (which his girlfriend doesn’t have), yet calls him a “dear friend” on FB and Instagram (which
    his girlfriend coincidentally uses!). male sex toys

sex Toys for couples Onward to collecting stories. Whenever I get a gig for a new anthology, I write up a Call for Submissions explaining
    what I’m looking for, the deadline for submissions,
    the desired word count, the payment, etc. Then I post this on a few sites that specialize
    in erotica markets, and others pick it up and spread it around..
    sex Toys for couples

cheap vibrators There certainly is fault, but it lies with the rapist, not the victim.
    It is that person or those people who chose to do what they did to you; it is that person or those people who are responsible for their actions.
    No one asks to be raped: no one asks for rape.
    cheap vibrators

cock rings The eighth setting reminds me of using
    a salt shaker. It pulses 6 times and on the sixth, it draws
    out the vibration. If I could put it into words, it goes “one, two, three, four, five, siiiiiiix”.
    My husband and I were reading a relationship book tonight.
    The book states that if a Man does not have sex for 72 hours he gets more lustful or has a wandering eye.
    It is harder for Men to ignore other women or images of other women according to this book.
    cock rings

male sex toys Sexually he has blocked me because instructions and expect before doing anything to the point that i would rather just give him a
    hand job and finish it. I mean, I’ve gone from very sexual to nothing at all.
    On top of everything he tells me one day that he feels he’s trap in his body but that he
    actually feels more like a woman. male sex toys

dildos You tack it up near your toilet. When you sitting there doing your business.

You see and remember it Sue birthday. Not out of anything too strange.
    For me example. I just lag my brain out with “hows my hair, does my breath smell, anything on my teeth, do I sound dorky. dildos

sex Toys for couples You’ll also want to make sure you have plenty of water based lube on hand non staining is important, given that you’re using fabric or leather with the dildo. If you’re looking for recommendations, Maximus is a great lube for anal play and is water based, non staining, and long lasting; I personally like both Liquid Silk (which has the bonus of looking a bit like ejaculate!) and Sliquid Organics for vaginal use, as they’re very slippery and mimic vaginal lubrication well, and they’re less likely to trigger sensitivities. I’d also stay away from flavored lubes with your strap on, unless you like the idea of your harness smelling vaguely like pia coladas for the next month!. sex Toys for couples

sex Toys for couples It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.. sex Toys for couples

vibrators Miss Nessa, I have all the shapes. I use them all. I have recommended them to friends. The battle is over the seat now held by David T. Prosser, a justice for 12 years who some consider to be part of a 4 to 3 conservative leaning majority bloc on the court. His opponent is JoAnne Kloppenburg, an assistant attorney general vibrators.